INTERACTIVE SUPERBOWL AD
About the project:
- Company: Eko
- Genre: Interactive Ad
- Brand Partnership: Coca-Cola
- Target audience: Millenials, comics nerds
- Release date: February 2016
- Platform: helloeko.com
About my work:
- Position: interactivity artist
- Design work: gamification, UX, tutorial
This project is an interactive ad based on the Coca-Cola 2016 Superbowl ad. While the original ad is a linear piece made for TV and featuring Marvel superheroes, the interactive version developed by Interlude allows the user to switch to a humoristic "real life" version of the commercial, where a grown man is playing with toys.
On this project, I was in charge of defining the interactions and how they would be presented to users. The challenge was to make the concept of a clickable video easily understandable for users who had never been exposed to this kind of technology before. Thus, I designed simple controls (tapping anywhere on screen) and interface (an icon with simple instructions) to on-board the audience easily and maximize the number of interactions with the content.
The interactive commercial was launched at the same time as Interlude's consumer-facing platform Eko and contributed to bring the first layer of engaged users to it. The concept was further used in a short interactive 5-episode series called Toyz, unfortunately inaccessible today.
What I'm proud of:
- The engagement rate doubled the expected results
- Meaningful interactivity added new value to existing content
What I learned:
- How to design and iterate on interactive content based on an existing linear piece
- How to address non-gaming users and make them engage in interactions
- How to maximize production value in design in an very short timeline