THE GOLDEN JACKAL
About the project:
- Format: 24-page comic book
- Target: 7 to 12 years-old children
- Tools: Adobe Photoshop
- Release date: TBD
About my work:
- Design work: writing (story, dialog), art, color, lettering
- Languages: French and English
The Golden Jackal: The Mystery of the Temple is a comic book for children I created in parallel to working as a freelance game designer. My goal was to design and produce a comic from beginning to end by learning new tools and techniques. In this project, I wanted to give life to an imaginary world and its characters, and hopefully get people interested in themes that I enjoy: physical comedy, animal characters and mythology.
I wrote the story of the episode as the "pilot" for a longer series. Then, I storyboarded each page's layout and wrote the dialog, before actually starting drawing digitally. Finally, I inked, colored and lettered the comic,before translating it into English. I am aiming to publish it by the end of 2017.
I learned a lot about the process of making comics, whether on a design aspect (how to build suspense, how to frame scenes...) or a technical one (what page format to use, what tools...). I'm very happy I got to produce a non-game product with the same rationale I use in game design: accessibility, immersion and consistency. I hope readers will enjoy it as much as I do!
What I'm proud of:
- Having finished a personal project by myself
- Learning an array of new skills complementing my game design experience
- Giving substance to characters I wanted to share with an audience
What I learned:
- The entire process of making a comic book from A to Z
- How to format it to the industry standards
- New storytelling techniques and tools
- Many drawing basics (lighting, color palettes, framing)